bzzzzzzzzzt!

a thailand narrative

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Happy House

I've told you plenty about my many Thailand activities. But my daily life here is probably the best thing about Thailand, and the primary reason I'm still in Chiang Mai.

I'm living in "Happy House", a small guest house run by two Thai women named pi La and pi Eh, both in their mid-thirties. (FYI, "pi" is the polite way to address anyone older than you in Thai). The guesthouse opened about 1.5 months ago, and my friend Philippa and I were some of the first guests at Happy House to stay for any reasonable length of time. During the first week of our stay we were semi-adopted by La and Eh.

In the last month I've gotten to know La's baby Kona, her husband Jason who runs the rafting/kayaking company, the neighbors who have a laundry business, the friends who are Goji Berry entrepreneurs (yes folks, just wait - Goji berry juice is the next hot health product in Thailand!), the extreme kayak film makers making a movie somewhere in northern Thailand, and the dogs Pepsi and Cola who live across the street. My room feels like home.

Sadly, I leaving Chiang Mai tomorrow and will miss Happy House and all my friends here. A quick picture of the Kona:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home